- This event has passed.
April 15, 2022 @ 6:00 am - April 18, 2022 @ 5:00 pmKSh10,000 – KSh35,000
Join us for a lifetime adventure to Africa’s 2nd highest Mountain to Point Lenana at 4985 meters. The Chogoria route is famed as the most beautiful route to climb this mountain. Camp at Lake Ellis, Halls Tarn, and Lake Michaelson and experience the life-giving effect of the water. Enjoy utopian night skies and incredible sunrises. Breath the crisp fresh air that heals the body, mind, and soul!
Feature Image courtesy of Omondi Tuju.
The trip costs KES 35,000 for those who meet ALL the eligibility criteria.
- Transport from Nairobi to Mt. Kenya and back.
- Park fees for citizens and residents.
- Accommodation in tents.
- Food for the duration of the expedition on the mountain.
- Expedition support staff: guides, porters, and chefs.
DAY 1: Nairobi (1795m asl) to Chogoria Gate (2440m asl) to Lake Ellis (3300m asl)
Distance: 200km drive, 9km hike
Time: 5 hours in a vehicle, 4 hours on foot
Elevation Gain: 600m by vehicle, 860m on foot
0600hrs – Leave Nairobi
1100hrs – Arrive at Chogoria Gate for registration and lunch
1200hrs – Hike through the rain forest, and moorland to Lake Ellis – An option to visit Mugi Hill
1700hrs – Dinner and rest for the next day.
DAY 2: Lake Ellis (3300m asl) to Mintos Hut (4200m asl)
Elevation Gain: 900m
Hiking Time: 7 hours
0700hrs – Wake up, freshen up and pack
0730hrs – Breakfast
0800hrs – Start hike
1600hrs – Arrive at Mintos Hut – Lake Michaelson viewpoint
1700h – Supper, prep for the summit bid, and rest.
DAY 3: Mintos Hut (3800m asl) to Point Lenana (4985m asl) to Chogoria Roadhead (3300m asl)
Elevation Gain: 700m
Hiking Time: 8 hours
0200hrs – Wake up
0230hrs – Leave for the summit
0800hrs – Summit Point Lenana
0900hrs – Brunch at Mintos Hut
1300hrs – Hike to Chogoria Roadhead Campsite – Vivienne Waterfalls viewpoint
1900hrs – Dinner and overnight stay
Day 4: Hike from Chogoria Roadhead to Chogoria gate and drive to Nairobi
Distance: 9km hike to Chogoria gate, 200km road trip to Nairobi
Hiking Time: 8 hours
0700hrs – Wake up and breakfast
0900hrs – Visit Maumau caves and Nithi falls
1100hrs – Descend to the Mt. Kenya Chogoria Gate
1400hrs – Depart for Nairobi
- Have summited at least three high altitude hikes (above 3200m), or 6 moderate drifts in the past 60 days.
- Have all the mandatory gear listed.
What to bring
- Waterproof hiking boots*
- Trail runners or sandals for use at camp
- Woolen hiking socks (6 pairs)*
- Leg gaiters
- Hiking pants (2 pairs water-resistant, 1 pair waterproof)*
- Thermal pants (2 pairs, medium or heavy-duty, breathable)*
- Woolen or polyester underwear (briefs)*
- Thermal t-shirt (4, long sleeve)*
- Polyester t-shirts (4 )*
- Fleece jacket*
- Down jacket*
- Waterproof jacket/shell jacket/poncho*
- Fleece hat + wide-brimmed hat
- A scarf or tubular bandana or regular bandana*
- Waterproof gloves (summit gloves and fleece gloves)*
- Hiking backpack (25l or 30l daypack, and a 60L backpack for your porter)*
- Warm Sleeping bag (four seasons/-5 degrees comfort recommended)*
- Headlamp and extra batteries*
- Hot water bottle
- Thermal flask
- Hydration bladder/water bottle*
- Personal items (phone and charger, camera, ID, pocket money, hand sanitizer, facemask, lighter, pocket knife, whistle, basic first aid kit)*
- Trekking poles
- Sunglasses + sunscreen
- Toiletries (wet wipes, dry wipes, toothbrush, toothpaste, petroleum jelly)*
- The items marked with an asterisk (*) in the list above are absolutely necessary for a safe expedition in the mountain. They are not included in the cost but the organizer can help you find them.
- The items without the asterisk are not necessary but greatly increase your comfort in the mountain. If you can access them, we highly recommend that you bring them along. The porters will carry them for you.
- Pick brightly colored clothes for the trip. The high visibility comes in handy not only in bad weather and in case you stray from the path, but also for good photos.
- Listen to the directives of the guide, and ask questions as they arise. The biggest asset that you can get from guides is knowledge.
- Be aware of the changes in your body. In case you have extreme symptoms of altitude sickness, let the guide know. And remember, there is no shame in turning back!
“It is not the mountains that we conquer, but ourselves” ~ Sir Edmund Hilary
Where Do We Meet?
For group travel, we will meet up at Bata shop Hilton (opposite Kencom). The guide will be at the meet-up point.
This trip is self-drive-friendly and has safe parking. KWS Chogoria Gate – Mt. Kenya National Park – Pin Location
Our Safety Pledge
Your safety is our top priority. Our experiences are led by professional hiking guides, and well-known local guides who are well versed with the trails they are guiding. All our guides carry a First-aid Kit and have an emergency contact. If you have any further questions about safety, please contact us for more information.
Know before you go
- The guide’s contact is available at the bottom of this page. Feel free to get in touch with any queries regarding this hike.
- Kindly note that we do not do pickups along the way.
- The trail is NOT suitable for kids and beginner hikers.
- Kindly observe the COVID-19 health safety regulations.
- You will get an email confirmation of your booking once you purchase your ticket.
Hikers that wish to cancel more than 48 hours before the hike will be issued a 50% refund of the total hiking fees. Those that cancel 48 hours or less to the actual date will not be refunded. No shows will not be refunded either.
- Hiking Gear Guide
- Hiking Gear Vendors
- Trail Difficulty Guide
- Trail Gallery
- Strava Routes
- Guide Bios
- Participation Badges
- Whatsapp Text Helpline
- Drift Shop
- Book a Private Drift
- Rate Lets Drift on Google
By confirming your RSVP(s), you consent to all terms stated in the Terms & conditions and Waiver & Indemnity Agreement.