- This event has passed.
May 13 @ 5:30 am - 6:00 pm
Rising from the floor of the Great Rift Valley like a monolith is the extinct volcano of Mount Longonot. The crater rim also provides great scenic views across the beautiful Rift Valley all the way to Lake Naivasha. Major wildlife attractions at Mount Longonot include buffaloes, bushbucks, common zebra, giraffe, and Grant’s gazelles. A day hike to the dormant volcano Mt. Longonot is a perfect way to begin your journey in conquering mountains.
Feature image courtesy of Mogaka Osinde
- Mt Longonot
- SelPanoramic views
- Select wildlife
0515h: Board the bus outside Bata at Hilton, opposite Kencom
0530h: Departure Time (pick-up along Waiyaki Way available with prior arrangement)
Route: Nrbi – Maimahiu – Longonot
0800h: Register at the park gate
0830h: Start the hike
1500h: Complete hike
1530h: Depart for Nairobi
0600h: Arrival at Nairobi
- Professional, knowledgeable, friendly guide.
- A commitment to make the tour as exciting, challenging, informative, and full as you’d like, and as is possible in a day
- Transportation to the trailhead and back
- Park entry fee for citizens and residents
- Achievement badge
- Lets Drift power bar
What’s Not Included
- Park entry fee for non-residents ($20)
About this activity
Difficulty: Moderate – Challenging
Duration: 7 hours
Maximum altitude: 2776m
Terrain: Very Steep
Trailhead: Mt Longonot Gate
Trail Type: Out and Back
What to Wear/Bring
• Head: Fleece Marvin/ hat
• Hiking buff/ scarf
• Sports bra
• Thermal T-shirt (polyester)
• Fleece jacket
• Down jacket
• Shell jacket
• Water-resistant Gloves
•Hiking pants/Summit pants with fleece/Waterproof pants.
•Cotton socks (+ an extra pair or two in your backpack)
•Waterproof hiking boots
• 3Ltrs water (bring a reusable bottle or a hydration pack)
• Snacks: fruit salad, energy drink, warm beverage, biscuits, sandwich, trail mix (nuts), etc.
• Personal items (ID, pocket money, hand sanitizer, facemask, phone, camera, Lighter, Pocket Knife, and First-aid Kit)
• Trekking pole
•Change of clothes and shoes in case you get wet or muddy.
•Sunglasses, sunscreen, sun protection
Where Do We Meet?
For group travel, we will meet up Outside Bata Shop, Hilton(opposite Kencom). The guide will be at the meet-up point.
This trip is self-drive-friendly and has safe parking. Mt Longonot National Park – Pin Location
Our Safety Pledge
Your safety is our top priority. Our experiences are led by professional hiking guides, and well-known local guides who are well versed with the trails they are guiding. All our guides carry a First-aid Kit and have an emergency contact. If you have any further questions about safety, please contact us for more information.
Know before you go
- The guide’s contact is available at the bottom of this page. Feel free to get in touch with any queries regarding this hike.
- Kindly note that we do not do pickups along the way.
- The trail is NOT suitable for kids and beginner hikers.
- Kindly observe the COVID-19 health safety regulations.
- You will get an email confirmation of your booking once you purchase your ticket.
Hikers that wish to cancel more than 48 hours before the hike will be issued a 50% refund of the total hiking fees. Those that cancel 48 hours or less to the actual date will not be refunded. No shows will not be refunded either.
What Drifters Say About this Trail
By confirming your RSVP(s), you consent to all terms stated in the Terms & conditions and Waiver & Indemnity Agreement.