Scaling Up Maggy on the Kedong Trek
When you hear the name Kedong, you think of rallies. You think of cars emerging proudly from clouds of dust. The name will probably remind you of crowds of excited rally fans just waiting to catch a glimpse of the cars being driven at ridiculous speeds. You never think about joining one of the numerous hiking groups in Nairobi to walk in Kedong. The Kedong Trek is one of those unique experiences that you can never accurately describe. Making it to the top of that hill will humble you, worn out as you might be.
- The Kedong Trek experience will start with a little bit of a history lesson. Hiking groups in Nairobi like Let’s Drift enjoy learning about a little church built by Italians in the 1940s. It is a chance to gain information on little known facts about our country.
- After the class, it is time to proceed to the hike on Mt Margaret. The higher you go the better the view gets.
- Once you get to the top not only do you enjoy the wind in your hair and the sun on your face, you also get to see the Great Rift Valley from way up there. It is big and beautiful, and it is a geographical wonder.
The Kedong Trek difficulty is moderate to challenging. You see mountain climbing and think how hard will be although it starts with a history lesson. Much as you might want to, this is not the hike to invite your children on. Join one of the hiking groups in Nairobi and enjoy it with fellow adults.
The central meeting point is on the benches near Bata Hilton Nairobi CBD. From there, we head out to take public transport to Mai Mahiu. The journey to the starting point is about two hours long. The cost of transportation is approximately Ksh 600.
What do you need for the trail?
- Hiking boots
- Trekking pole
- Snacks such as nuts, granola bars, fruits, fresh juice,
- 3 Litres of water (bring a reusable water bottle or a hydration pack)
Here’s a list of resources for hiking gear you can check out.
Now that you know about Kedong Trek, we hope to see you on the trails!
For all you lovers of mountain climbing out there, similar trails to the Kedong Trek are:
Table Mountain and Mt Longonot