Breathtaking Waterfalls in Gathika
Have you done a lot of hikes in Kiambu county and want to try out somewhere different? You could try out one of our newer trails, Gathika in Murang’a county.
The trail begins at Wanyaga, and then we head out to Ndakaini dam to see the views of the dam. Then we go back to Wanyaga where we walk for a bit on the tarmac, then descend to see the breathtaking waterfalls.
What is so special about this trail
- Views of Ndakaini dam. Did you know Ndakaini dam supplies more than 80% of the water in Nairobi? Come check out this breathtaking dam and see where your water comes from.
- Two Breathtaking Waterfalls in Gathika. Heard of the song “Don’t go chasing waterfalls?” Well, we do the opposite at Let’s Drift. Come chase these hidden beautiful waterfalls and marvel at their beauty.
- Duff mpararo (swimming). If you have never tasted duff mpararo, you don’t know what you are missing out on. If you want to try it out, come for this amazing hike and enjoy a good swim in nature.
The trail is beginner-friendly. The distance is about 10 km. The terrain is mostly gentle slopes, except for a steep descent to the waterfall.
The central meeting point is Nairobi CBD on the benches near Bata Hilton. From there, we head out to take public transport to Wanyaga. The journey to the starting point is about two hours long. The cost of transportation to and from the starting point is approximately Ksh 300.
The trail is also self-drive-friendly if you don’t want to take public transport.
What do you need for the trail?
- Hiking boots
- Trekking pole
- Snacks such as nuts, granola bars, fruits, fresh juice,
- 3 – 4L of water (bring a reusable water bottle or a hydration pack).
- Swimming costume
- Quick-dry clothes
- Warm clothes. The weather can get chilly at Ndakaini so ensure you are dressed warmly.
Here’s a list of resources for hiking gear you can check out.
Can you bring your kids with you?
Yes, you definitely can. The trail is child friendly and you can bring your kids (above 9 years) for a fun-filled weekend!
If you liked Gathika, you can try out Githobokoni, Gatamaiyu 3 and Kanunga