Summiting Up to the Seven Ponds
It is fantastic how most hiking trails in Kenya are given literal names. The Seven Ponds Trail is named after natural ponds found on the flat peak of the mountain. Just like all hiking trails in Kenya, this would be a weekend well spent appreciating Kenyan scenery. It sure is the perfect substitute to a day spent wandering around the house jumping out of your skin with anxiety and boredom.
- The Seven Ponds hiking trail starts with a polite walk across grass and shrubbery. This initial walk serves you a montage of the landscape.
- The Seven Ponds trail snakes between Table Mountain and Rurimeria and sits in the Aberdare National Park.
- Once you get to the top, it’s like it is welcoming you. It is flat up there and you can sort of see all seven ponds at the same time.
- At more than 3000m above sea level, you get a clear view of the park including some wild animals that could be loitering around down there. If you are petty, you could stick your tongue out at them and dare them to come up and get you.
To keep things simple, Summiting Up to the Seven Ponds is a moderately challenging hiking experience. The Seven Ponds is yet another one of those hiking trails in Kenya that you can never quite accurately and universally rate. One thing is for sure though, it is easy compared to the other treks in the same place. It is almost as if Seven Ponds is a consolation prize for beginners who cannot hack steeper hiking trails in Kenya. You can push yourself, test your endurance and even bring some family members for some sweaty fun.
The central meeting point is on the benches near Bata Hilton Nairobi CBD. From there, we head out to Ndunyu Njeru. The journey to the starting point is about four hours long.
The trail is also self-drive friendly in case you don’t want to ride with the rest of the group.
What do you need for the trail?
- Head: Fleece Marvin/ hat
• Hiking buff/ scarf
• Sports bra
• Thermal T-shirt (polyester)
• Fleece jacket
• Down jacket
• Shell jacket
• Water-resistant Gloves
- Thermal sleeves
•Hiking pants/Summit pants with fleece/Waterproof pants.
•Cotton socks (+ an extra pair or two in your backpack)
•Waterproof hiking boots
- 3Ltrs water (bring a reusable bottle or a hydration pack)
• Snacks: fruit salad, energy drink, warm beverage, biscuits, sandwich, trail mix (nuts), etc.
• Personal items (ID, pocket money, hand sanitizer, facemask, phone, camera, Lighter, Pocket Knife, and First-aid Kit)
• Trekking pole
•Change of clothes and shoes in case you get wet or muddy.
•Sunglasses, sunscreen, sun protection
Here’s a list of resources for hiking gear you can check out.
Can you bring your kids with you?
Yes. Seven Ponds is a child-friendly trail for children above 10 years. It’s a moderate hike where you can bring your family with you for a fun-filled weekend.
Now that you know about Seven Ponds, we hope to see you on the trails!
For lovers of moderately challenging hiking trails in Kenya and scenic views, similar trails Seven Ponds are:
Table Mountain and Rurimeria