Awe-Inspiring Tea and Coffee Farms in Cianda
Are you looking for an easy hike in Kiambu County with exceptional views of tea and coffee farms? You might want to try Cianda Walk. This is the place where the green farms meet the blue sky on a sunny day. It is so serene and peaceful.
Located in Kiambu county, near Banana, this is an easy and quick hike that starts at Raini along Limuru road and ends at the same point. The hike (more like a walk) is along tarmacked roads followed by dirt roads and tea farms, and finally a quick 1-minute descent to a large waterfall with caves. The hike is easy and an excellent starting hike for anyone who has never hiked or walked long distances.
What is so special about this trail
- Awe-Inspiring Tea and Coffee Farms in Cianda. The first coffee trees were planted on Cianda in 1928, and today more than 70 hectares of this 100-hectare farm are planted under SL28, SL35 and Ruiru11 coffee trees.
- The hike inside the estates also offers a small beautiful natural waterfall with caves along the trail.
- On a good sunny day, one can also see the magnificent Mt.Kenya visible up to her snowcap from a far distance.
The trail is rated beginner-friendly whose total distance is 8 km, likely to take about 4 hours. The terrain is relatively flat with a minimal inclination as you ascend to the waterfalls and caves.
On rainy days, the trail can get a bit slippery therefore one might require to hold on to the tea bushes which are thankfully strong enough to prevent one from hitting the ground. Therefore, be careful at such points.
For group travel via public service vehicles, the meet-up is at the benches near Bata shop Hilton (opposite Kencom) Nairobi CBD. The guide will be at the meet-up point.
This trip is also self-drive friendly and has safe parking.
Getting to the starting point takes about 45 minutes to 1 hour from Nairobi. The trailhead on arrival is Raini shopping centre.
The estimated fare cost is approximately KShs. 450.
What do you need for the trail?
- Hiking boots
- Trekking pole
- Snacks such as nuts, granola bars, fruits, fresh juice,
- 3 Litres of water (bring a reusable water bottle or a hydration pack)
- Long-sleeved shirts to avoid sunburns and warm layered clothing for the cold seasons.
Here’s a list of resources for hiking gear you can check out.
Hiking Gear Vendors – Lets Drift
Can you bring your kids with you?
Yes. Cianda is child-friendly, for active children above 10 years. So, you can bring your family for a fun-filled weekend.
Now that you know about Cianda, we hope to see you on the trails!
If you like Cianda, you might also want to check out the following beginner-friendly trails
Join the discussion 2 Comments