Keeping Things Casual at Githiga
You know how you wake up on some weekends unsure about what you feel like doing? Only sure you do not want to stay home all weekend with the TV and junk food. You also know you would rather not do something too exhausting or physically exerting. To cater to this kind of mood, Let’s Drift has options for hiking near Nairobi. Githiga is a little piece of astonishment less than an hour away from Nairobi.
- The Githiga trek involves a walk through tea farms and thick forestry. Before you proceed further, take a minute to look out at the expanse of green fragrant leaves. Go ahead and admire the neat bed of tea bushes as they stretch into the distance. Remember why you got out of bed on a cold morning in the first place. Let that view wash over you.
- After you have covered the path through the forest and tea farm, you will start to encounter some wonderful occurrences in nature. There will be waterfalls because even the easy options for hiking near Nairobi spot a waterfall or two. Githiga shows off with three. The great thing about waterfalls is that they make you feel like your day could end right then and you would be just fine. It is an opportunity to swim in wild waters.
- At some point, you will come to the mouth of a cave. Whether to venture inside or to only peep in from the safety of the outside is entirely dependent on how brave you are feeling in that moment.
The Githiga trail is beginner friendly. As an option for hiking near Nairobi, Githiga can be the place you graduate from one who can only do easy to someone who can take on a little more. This is especially true if you visit in the rainy season when the steep slopes are also slippery.
The central meeting point is on the benches near Bata Hilton Nairobi CBD. From there, we head out to take public transport to Githiga. The journey to the starting point is about one hour long.
The trail is also self-drive friendly in case you don’t want to take public transport.
What do you need for the trail?
- Head: Fleece Marvin/ hat
- Hiking buff/ scarf
- Sports bra
- Thermal T-shirt (polyester)
- Fleece jacket
- Down jacket
- Shell jacket
- Water-resistant Gloves
- Thermal sleeves
- Hiking pants/Summit pants with fleece/Waterproof pants.
- Cotton socks (+ an extra pair or two in your backpack)
- Waterproof hiking boots
- 3Ltrs water (bring a reusable bottle or a hydration pack)
- Snacks: fruit salad, energy drink, warm beverage, biscuits, sandwich, trail mix (nuts), etc.
- Personal items (ID, pocket money, hand sanitizer, facemask, phone, and camera, Lighter, Pocket Knife, and First-aid Kit)
- Trekking pole
- Change of clothes and shoes in case you get wet or muddy.
- Sunglasses, sunscreen, sun protection
Here’s a list of resources for hiking gear you can check out.
Can you bring your kids with you?
Yes, the trail is kid and beginner hikers friendly. They will enjoy the cornucopia of attractions at Githiga from the caves to the waterfalls to the freedom of running through tea farms.
Now that you know about Githiga, we hope to see you on the trails!
If you are into hiking near Nairobi, Book now, be notified when tickets become available. Similar trails to Githiga are: