Secret Breathtaking Waterfalls in Kahunira
Are you an adventurous soul looking for a hike with hidden sceneries near Nairobi? Look no further; we have you covered. Hidden in Kahunira, Kiambu County lies a trail along a river where you can have a great hike and get to connect with nature.
What is so special about this trail
- Four Secret Breathtaking Waterfalls in Kahunira. The trail boasts of four breathtaking waterfalls where you can listen to the calming sound of the water falling.
- Duff mpararo (swimming). Of the four waterfalls, three have pools which are incredible swimming spots! So if you’re a fan of swimming outdoors, this might be the adventure you are looking for!
- Conquer your fear of heights! You may want to try this trail if you like an adrenaline rush. There’s a 100m long pipe crossing high above the ground toward the trail end. So if you seek a unique experience, you might want to try this one out.
This is a 10km hike. It is suitable for beginner and intermediate hikers. The terrain is mostly a gradual slope, however, there are two steep slopes as we descend to the waterfalls. There is also another steep ascent back to the village after crossing the pipes.
As we cross the river, the rocks are slippery so ensure you have shoes with good grip and be careful as you cross.
The central meeting point is on the benches near Bata Hilton Nairobi CBD. From there, we head out to take public transport to Githunguri town. The journey to the starting point is about an hour long. The cost of transportation is approximately Ksh 400.
The trail is also self-drive friendly in case you don’t want to take public transport.
What do you need for the trail?
- Hiking boots
- Trekking pole
- Swimming costume and towel
- Snacks such as nuts, granola bars, fruits, fresh juice,
- 3 Litres of water (bring a reusable water bottle or a hydration pack)
Here’s a list of resources for hiking gear you can check out.
Hiking Gear Vendors – Lets Drift
Can you bring your kids with you?
Yes. Kahunira is a child-friendly trail for children above 10 years. It’s a moderate hike where you can bring your family with you for a fun-filled weekend.
Now that you know about Kahunira, we hope to see you on the trails!
For forest lovers and duff mpararo lovers, similar trails to Kahunira are:
Gatamaiyu 1 and Gatamaiyu 5
Join the discussion 4 Comments