Kitengela Glass City Art Tour: Into the Dome
City Art Tours are designed to take drifters on a magical trip through Nairobi’s art scene. Kitengela Hot Glass is not exactly within the city but it is a major fixture in Kenyan Art. With Anselm Croze as the proprietor, Kitengela Hot Glass has evolved over the years to become a tourism attraction not just in Kenya but in the whole continent. He developed an interest in glassblowing from his mother and took it from there. Hiking companies in Kenya plan experiences to Kitengela Hot Glass where people get to enjoy simply watching the extensive and impressive display of glass artistry on the premises of Kitengela Hot Glass among other activities. It may not be hiking in Kenya but it is a worthwhile experience of immersion in a unique art form.
- The premises sports a massive bulbous structure that is the first experience with the art with Kitengela Hot Glass. Once you are in the compound, you will get to see more pieces scattered all over the compound. Then, you will get to see all the different products and services offered at Kitengela Hot Glass. Simply just seeing everything on the shelves should be enough for the day but then again you can do that at any one of their outlets. You will also get to watch the artists on the premises make different objects. The way these people move and handle the fire is an art form in itself. Their gracious and fluid movements is simply amazing.
- The real treat is getting to design something and engage with the furnaces. Kitengela Hot Glass offers packages where people get to make different objects or simply just pose with the fire.
- Located on the outskirts of the savanna with a view of the vast Kenyan plains where wildlife and wild vegetation live, there will be more to see outside. If you are feeling brave, you might attempt to cross a scary suspension bridge that will carry you over across the aisle to Maasai Lodge. You can cross the bridge just to dare the beast inside you.
Since the drive to Kitengela Hot Glass will take you right into the compound, your experience will be easy. Experience the art of glassblowing in its various stages and even getting to engage is indescribable.
The central meeting point is on the benches near Bata Hilton Nairobi CBD. From there, we head out to take public transport to Kitengela. The journey to the starting point is about one and a half hours long depending on traffic.
The trip is also self-drive friendly in case you don’t want to take public transport.
What do you need for the trail?
- 3Ltrs water (bring a reusable bottle or a hydration pack)
- Snacks: fruit salad, energy drink, warm beverage, biscuits, sandwich, trail mix (nuts), etc.
- Personal items (ID, pocket money, hand sanitizer, facemask, phone, and camera, Lighter, Pocket Knife, and First-aid Kit)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen, sun protection
Here’s a list of resources for hiking gear you can check out.
Hiking Gear Vendors – Lets Drift
Can you bring your kids with you?
Yes. The Kitengela Glass City Art Tour will be a worthwhile experience for your children. Not only is it a chance to see Kenyan art but it is a chance for them to see all that Kenyan life has to offer.
Now that you know about the Kitengela Hot Glass City Art Tour, we hope you will come with us next time!
If you are a fan of interesting experiences with the Let’s Drift hiking company in Nairobi, Book now, be notified when tickets become available. Similar experiences to Kitengela Hot Glass City Art Tour are:
City Art Tour – Kanai Race and City Art Tour – African Heritage House