Quick and Dirty to the Top of Mt Longonot
When you are an outdoor cat you often will not find likeminded people in your circle. You are then prompted to go out in search of these people among the numerous affordable hiking groups in Nairobi. The agenda of these groups is clear therefore you are likely to find a few people who would enjoy spending a weekend summiting Mt Longonot. Mt Longonot is a challenging hike that does not take too long. This is where these affordable hiking groups come in. You can help keep each other energetic and psyched up to the very top. Even when you feel like you might pass out, the company keeps you from letting your legs buckle under you.
- A formidable presence in the Rift Valley, Mt Longonot stands confidently daring all and sundry to summit to the top.
- Those affordable hiking groups that do, are treated to a wonderful view of the Great Rift Valley.
- Situated in a park, chances are that you will encounter or see some wild animals. Do not worry they will not attack, maybe.
- Hikers particularly enjoy walking around the rim of the crater to enjoy the view from all sides.
- The hike is also known for different species of birds if you are a lover of birds.
The Mt Longonot trek is moderate to challenging in difficulty. It does not warm you up nor is it trying to be your friend. It will be hard on you and your muscles right from the get go. You will not have time to acclimatize to it. But then, it is over as quickly before you have the time to conjure up a complaint. It will be very steep. It will test your will. You also need to be in very good company so make sure to do your research on affordable hiking groups.
The central meeting point is on the benches near Bata Hilton Nairobi CBD. From there, we head out to take public transport to Mai Mahiu town. The journey to the starting point is about two hours long. The cost of transportation is approximately Ksh 500.
The trail is also self-drive friendly in case you don’t want to take public transport.
What do you need for the trail?
- Hiking boots
- Trekking pole
- Snacks such as nuts, granola bars, fruits, fresh juice,
- 3 Litres of water (bring a reusable water bottle or a hydration pack)
Here’s a list of resources for hiking gear you can check out.
Hiking Gear Vendors – Lets Drift
Can you bring your kids with you?
- The trail is NOT suitable for kids and beginner hikers.
Now that you know about Mt Longonot, we hope to see you on the trails!
For those who enjoy weekend hiking trips, similar trails to Mt Longonot are:
Mt Kipipiri and Table Mountain