Lake Ellis: The All you Can Eat Buffet of Hiking
Interesting hiking trails in Kenya have all sorts of wonderful qualities. Some have more than one quality. Rarely do you ever encounter a trail that has almost all the qualities you could possibly encounter on a hike. The Lake Ellis tour is one such place. To say that it deserves to be on the top of the list of interesting hiking trails in Kenya would not be a stretch.
- Nestled on the slopes of Mt Kenya, Lake Ellis is the largest ahead of Alice and Michaelson.
- The trek to the lake is an eventful one. You will walk through a forest, part of which is man-made and another part which is indigenous. As it is with all walks through forests, this one brings with it the possibility of encounters with wildlife and assorted flora. The forest is also home to numerous species of birds. Imagine a walk through clusters of trees as fresh air penetrates your nostrils and your heartbeat synchronizes to the harmony of bird songs.
- Then you come upon the striking Nithi Falls. As if you have not been treated to enough yet. The water is showy and flashy as it flows down the cliff and proceeds downhill.
- Once you are sitting by Lake Ellis, you can finally exhale and just enjoy everything the trail has to offer. If you picked a good day, you will be able to see the peaks of the mountain clearly. Perhaps long for a day when you will be able to summit to the top.
Getting to Lake Ellis is going to be a challenging endeavor. It will test your patience. It will try you to your wits end. You might not even be too tired to eat your snacks. Just like all interesting hiking trails in Kenya, this will be a worthwhile experience.
The central meeting point is on the benches near Bata Hilton Nairobi CBD. From there, we head out to take public transport to Chogoria. The journey to the starting point is about three hours long.
The trail is also self-drive friendly in case you don’t want to take public transport.
What do you need for the trail?
- Head: Fleece Marvin/ hat
- Hiking buff/ scarf
- Sports bra
- Thermal T-shirt (polyester)
- Fleece jacket
- Down jacket
- Shell jacket
- Water-resistant Gloves
- Thermal sleeves
- Hiking pants/Summit pants with fleece/Waterproof pants.
- Cotton socks (+ an extra pair or two in your backpack)
- Waterproof hiking boots
- 3Ltrs water (bring a reusable bottle or a hydration pack)
- Snacks: fruit salad, energy drink, warm beverage, biscuits, sandwich, trail mix (nuts), etc.
- Personal items (ID, pocket money, hand sanitizer, facemask, phone, and camera, Lighter, Pocket Knife, and First-aid Kit)
- Trekking pole
- Change of clothes and shoes in case you get wet or muddy.
- Sunglasses, sunscreen, sun protection
Here’s a list of resources for hiking gear you can check out.
Hiking Gear Vendors – Lets Drift
Can you bring your kids with you?
No. Lake Ellis is a great place to be, but it would be unsuitable for children considering the level of difficulty.
Now that you know about Lake Ellis: The All you Can Eat Buffet of Hiking, we hope to see you on the trails!
If you are a fan of interesting hiking trails in Kenya, similar trails to Lake Elis are:
Seven Ponds and Kijabe Waterfalls