Through Eburru Forest to the Vantage of Naivasha
As human beings, we crave adventure. We crave once in a lifetime experiences that we get to annoy people with at family gatherings. We crave to be on the edge for brief moments in time. Very rarely will you encounter a trail that is both beginner friendly as well as the most challenging hiking trails in Kenya but somehow hiking in Eburru Forest achieves this.
- Walking in Eburru forest to get to the peak of the mountain will be very eventful for you. Eburru is an indigenous forest with a very diverse selection of natural elements from very old trees to beautiful wild flowers.
- You will enjoy a symphony of sounds from whistling wind and singing birds.
- The Eburru Forest is said to be home to an endangered animal species. This creates a kind of mystery about the trek, will you or will you not see it?
- To add an air of adventure, you will be walking on an active volcano. It probably will not erupt as you maneuver the folds but it is both exciting and scary to think it could.
- Once you get to the top you will be treated to the view of a lake. It could be Naivasha, Elementaita or Nakuru. It depends on where you are standing and which direction you are looking.
Challenging hiking trails often declare late their intention right off the bat. They will show you who is going to be boss as soon as you embark on the trek. However, the Eburru trail is not like that. It will pamper you at first then as you proceed through the forest it becomes a lot more challenging. Your muscles will burn, joints will ache, mind will be blown and your senses will be overstimulated.
The central meeting point is on the benches near Bata Hilton Nairobi CBD. From there, we head out to take public transport to Naivasha town. The journey to the starting point is about two hours long. The cost of transportation is approximately Ksh 900.
What do you need for the trail?
- Hiking boots
- Trekking pole
- Snacks such as nuts, granola bars, fruits, fresh juice,
- 3 Litres of water (bring a reusable water bottle or a hydration pack)
Here’s a list of resources for hiking gear you can check out.
Can you bring your kids with you?
- Eburru Forest is NOT child-friendly or ideal for beginner hikers.
Now that you know about Eburru, we hope to see you on the trails!
If you enjoy trekking in forests, climbing mountains and testing your resilience on challenging hiking trails, similar trails to Eburru Forest are:
Kinale Forest and Kiambicho Hill