Scaling the Boulders at Olosokwan
Affordable hiking trips are usually slim pickings with very few options when it comes to key attractions and activities. There are a few options of course that offer a unique experience. Ololosokwan is a beautiful place where you can have an out of the ordinary experience. It means the ‘place of the buffalo’ in Maasai. It is simply adorable when these destinations have native names. At Ololosokwan, while it is one of the few affordable hiking trips around which suggests cheap, the experience itself is nothing but. Instead of the usual walking, climbing uphill and swimming in wild waters, this is a rock climbing experience.
- The trek up the rocks starts with a gentle trek. You get your muscles warmed up. You get your mind ready. You get to know your fellow group members of the Let’s Drift community.
- You also get to learn a few things from the guides. There will be so much to learn especially about local flora. It is always nice to know about the different plants around and what they were used for in the old times. For example, there is a plant in nature that comes closer to a fool proof contraceptive than anything you will ever have shoved into your body.
- At Ololosokwan, you will cross rivers and come across what used to be formidable waterfalls. You will have a chance to test your thrill seeking tendencies by looking down cliff drops.
- Then comes the main event. Rock climbing is not for the faint hearted.
- Once you are up there with all your limbs threatening to fall off your body, you will look down at the plains and enjoy the view of the villages below. You will look into the horizon and be treated to a panoramic view of Ngong Hills. As far as affordable hiking trips go, the rock climbing experience at Ololosokwan will be one for the books.
The Ololosokwan rock climbing experience is only moderately difficult. You will need to be fairly fit. This can be the precursor to a much more challenging affordable hiking trip where Ololosokwan can be your training ground.
The central meeting point is on the benches near Bata Hilton Nairobi CBD. From there, we head out to take public transport to Kibiko town. The journey to the starting point is about an hour to two hours long. The cost of transportation is approximately Ksh 250.
The trail is also self-drive friendly in case you don’t want to take public transport.
What do you need for the trail?
- Hiking boots
- Snacks such as nuts, granola bars, fruits, fresh juice,
- 3 Litres of water (bring a reusable water bottle or a hydration pack)
Here’s a list of resources for hiking gear you can check out.
Hiking Gear Vendors – Lets Drift
Can you bring your kids with you?
Yes. Ololosokwan is a child-friendly trail for children above 10 years. It’s a moderate hike where you can bring your family with you for a fun-filled weekend.
Now that you know about Ololosokwan, we hope to see you on the trails!
For lovers of adventure and seekers of affordable hiking trips, similar trails to Ololosokwan are:
Kipeto and Mt Kilimambogo