The Enchanting Oldonyo-Orok Hill
This hiking trail is easily the mother of all hiking trails. Please carry your cameras and prepare for amazing views!
Oldonyo Orok is a beautiful and challenging hill located in Mailitisa, a small town near the infamous Namanga border town. It has amazing views from thé summit of Enkamuka Peak, which is thé second highest peak of Oldonyo Orok also known as the black mountain due to the giant black rocks scattered across the hills.
What is so Special about this Trail?
- Along the Oldonyo-Orok hiking trail, you will be rewarded with an adrenaline packed hiking experience and amazing views of the pristine hills.
- Great views. The hill contains a natural forest with generally unexploited foliage that grows thicker as the route travels higher up the mountain along the Namanga River.
- The route opens up into clearings further up, from where views of the village below, Mt Longido, and Mt Kilimanjaro are breathtaking.
- You will also experience the breathtaking views from the summit of Enkamuka Peak, the second highest peak in Oldonyo Orok, popularly known as the Black Mountain because of the massive black boulders scattered throughout the slopes.
- Wildlife. The hiking trail borders Amboseli National park and is a haven for some great wildlife sightings. some wildlife along the hiking trail including bushbucks, olive baboons, vervet monkeys, rock hyraxes, buffalos, elephants, antelopes, dik dik and many species of birds that are unique to the area.
This is a moderately challenging hiking trail whose total distance is 14 km and likely to take 8 hours. Be prepared for a hilly terrain which will test your endurance.
The Oldonyo-Orok hiking trail is dotted with many hills just next to Mt. Kilimanjaro.
and the highest peak rises to an elevation of 2548m above sea level.
For group travel via public service vehicles, the meet-up is at the benches near Bata shop Hilton (opposite Kencom) Nairobi CBD. The guide will be at the meet-up point.
This trip is self-drive friendly and has safe parking: – Maili Tisa Town.
Getting to the starting point takes about 2 hours 30 minutes. The trailhead is at Namanga River Lodge.
The estimated fare cost is 1000 and park fee 250 inclusive of a friendly guide.
What do you need for the trail?
- Warm clothes
- Comfortable hiking shoes
- Rain gear
- Water 3 liters
- Hat, sunscreen
- Hiking pole
Here’s a list of resources for hiking gear you can check out.
Can you bring kids with you?
No. The trail is NOT suitable for kids and beginner hikers.
The Enchanting Oldonyo-Orok Hill trail, however, has more wildlife sightings than all other hiking trails.
Enjoy your adventure!!!