Gatamaiyu 2: Moderate Hike, Maximum Reward
Hiking in Kenya is diverse with many options involving waterfalls. With the topography facilitating beautiful cascades and especially thunderous downhill flows, it is no surprise that there are some places that boast multiple waterfalls. The Gatamaiyu series of waterfalls is one of those places. Each waterfall more magnificent than the other, each as unique as a snowflake, each giving its visitors and beholders the treat of a lifetime. Gatamaiyu 2 is the second of the Gatamaiyu five. It is one of the easier to handle destinations for hiking in Kenya.
- The thing about Gatamaiyu 2, all the Gatamaiyus really, is that you could just go and stand there watching the water fall down from atop. It would be a worthwhile experience to do nothing but stare at the water. It is a magnificent view, it is a marvelous sound not to mention life affirming.
- But, if you are not the watching type then you can wear your brave face and test the temperature of the water. Spoiler alert, the water will be very cold. If it is the cold season, which it almost always is in Githunguri, it will be freezing. The upside is that you will not need coffee to perk for a month after that.
- The Gatamaiyu 2 waterfall is hidden in a canopy of greenery. You will walk through a forest where you will hear the beautiful sound before you catch a glimpse of it. While at the foot of the waterfall, it will feel like you are tucked in bed with the duvet wrapped tightly around you.
The Gatamaiyu 2 trail is a moderate hiking experience. The trek to the waterfall will only slightly challenge your muscles. Therefore, this hike can be attempted by beginners who are looking to elevate to the next level.
The central meeting point is on the benches near Bata Hilton Nairobi CBD. From there, we head out to take public transport to Githunguri. The journey to the starting point is about one and a half hours long costing approximately 300 shillings.
The trail is NOT self-drive friendly.
What do you need for the trail?
- Head: Fleece Marvin/ hat
- Hiking buff/ scarf
- Sports bra
- Thermal T-shirt (polyester)
- Fleece jacket
- Down jacket
- Shell jacket
- Water-resistant Gloves
- Thermal sleeves
- Hiking pants/Summit pants with fleece/Waterproof pants.
- Cotton socks (+ an extra pair or two in your backpack)
- Waterproof hiking boots
- 3Ltrs water (bring a reusable bottle or a hydration pack)
- Snacks: fruit salad, energy drink, warm beverage, biscuits, sandwich, trail mix (nuts), etc.
- Personal items (ID, pocket money, hand sanitizer, facemask, phone, and camera, Lighter, Pocket Knife, and First-aid Kit)
- Trekking pole
- Change of clothes and shoes in case you get wet or muddy.
- Sunglasses, sunscreen, sun protection
Here’s a list of resources for hiking gear you can check out.
Can you bring your kids with you?
Yes. You can bring kids older than 12 on the Gatamaiyu 2 hiking trail. It will be a little cold for them and you might want to keep them out of the water but they will love the fresh air and the enchant of the space.
Now that you know about Gatamaiyu 2, we hope to see you on the trails!
If you enjoy hiking in Kenya, Book now, be notified when tickets become available. Similar trails to Gatamaiyu 2 are: