Githobokoni is Worth the Sweat…and Tears?
You know how they tell you that good things come to those who wait? Githobokoni really makes you wait. When you finally get your reward…boy is it worth it. There is nothing basic about this trail. It is the epitome of unique hiking trails in Kenya. Definitely special in more ways than one. It will have you feeling small but yet capable of everything. You know that moment when you look up a hill and suddenly get this rush of adrenaline and courage? You will have plenty of such moments on your walk through the Githobokoni Trail.
- Waterfalls are nature’s marvel. You feast on them with your eyes and then you float through the sound of water confidently gushing down the fall. Two separate waterfalls makes Githobokoni worthy of being on the list of the most unique hiking trails in Kenya. You will encounter the first fall which is kind of basic but still possessing the elegance of waterfalls. You will be tempted to stop here, lounge in the water and call it a day. Do not.
- Proceed and at some point you will come across the second waterfall. Now this is nothing short of resplendent. It is towering and loud. The water is clear and smells like new life.
- Sitting on high ground near the Aberdare Ranges, the trail is home to different kinds of vegetation and birds.
- As an added treat, you will walk through lush beds of tea.
The challenge level of the Githobokoni trail would be judged differently by different people. To put it simply, it is moderately challenging. It could be argued that the key attractions offset some of the difficulty but some beginners would probably not feel like that. Bring the proper gear and a positive attitude.
The central meeting point is on the benches near Bata Hilton Nairobi CBD. From there, we head out to take public transport to Gakoe. The journey to the starting point is about two and a half hours long. The cost of transportation is approximately Ksh 600.
What do you need for the trail?
- Hiking boots
- Trekking pole
- Swimming costume and towel
- Snacks such as nuts, granola bars, fruits, fresh juice,
- 3 Litres of water (bring a reusable water bottle or a hydration pack)
Here’s a list of resources for hiking gear you can check out.
Hiking Gear Vendors – Lets Drift
Can you bring your kids with you?
No. Githobokoni is not exactly a child-friendly trail for children. It’s a moderately challenging hike Now that you know about Githobokoni, we hope to see you on the trails!
For forest lovers and duff mpararo lovers, similar trails to Githobokoni are:
Thiririka and Gatamaiyu 3