Kijabe Soft Trails for the Connoisseurs of Soft Life
In a country where the inflation rate is holding citizens by the neck George Floyd style and life keeps finding new ways to shaft everyone, it is nice to have one thing that simply wants to pamper you. Kijabe Soft trail is one of those beginner friendly hiking trails that just invites you in for the fresh air, beautiful views and chill vibes. It is the kind of weekend hiking experience that allows your mind to drift to the depths of your fantasies. You might feel like you are simply floating through the trail and only occasionally remembering to appreciate the beauty in nature.
- A little detour off the Nairobi-Nakuru highway will admit you into Kinale forest. This will be the beginning of your experience in Kijabe. The forest, with its lush vegetation and the soothing sounds of nature will be your first clue that you are about to receive the baby girl/boy treatment.
- With the spectacle of hills and mountains dancing proudly in the horizon, you will walk leisurely as you enjoy good conversation among strangers.
- If you enjoy being on two wheels, bring your bike and ride through the trail.
- In the company of the flora and fauna of the Kijabe soft trail, you will soon find yourself at the end of the trek in a quaint coffee shop. You will have smelled the coffee from far off and as the coffee shop comes into view, you will feel a sudden urge to sit on the benches that adorn the porch and wax poetic about nature among other things. There is something about fresh air and fresh coffee that turns everyone into a poet. This would actually be the perfect beginner friendly hiking trip for you and your person especially if the person is not your person yet and is still teetering on the edge.
The Kijabe soft trail is a moderate trek, at most. It is the kind of experience that pampers you and assures you that life can be kind sometimes. This trail makes the perfect cap off for a difficult week.
The central meeting point is on the benches near Bata Hilton Nairobi CBD. From there, we head out to take public transport to Gichiengo in Kimende. The journey to the starting point is about two hours long and public transport costs about 450 shillings.
The trail is also self-drive friendly in case you don’t want to take public transport.
What do you need for the trail?
- Head: Fleece Marvin/ hat
- Hiking buff/ scarf
- Sports bra
- Thermal T-shirt (polyester)
- Fleece jacket
- Down jacket
- Shell jacket
- Water-resistant Gloves
- Thermal sleeves
- Hiking pants/Summit pants with fleece/Waterproof pants.
- Cotton socks (+ an extra pair or two in your backpack)
- Waterproof hiking boots
- 3Ltrs water (bring a reusable bottle or a hydration pack)
- Snacks: fruit salad, energy drink, warm beverage, biscuits, sandwich, trail mix (nuts), etc.
- Personal items (ID, pocket money, hand sanitizer, facemask, phone, and camera, Lighter, Pocket Knife, and First-aid Kit)
- Trekking pole
- Change of clothes and shoes in case you get wet or muddy.
- Sunglasses, sunscreen, sun protection
Here’s a list of resources for hiking gear you can check out.
Can you bring your kids with you?
Yes. The Kijabe soft trail is perfect for a weekend outing with the kids. They can run around, expend some of that energy and see a part of their country most people go their adult lives without.
Now that you know about the Kijabe soft trail, you cannot use the difficulty excuse anymore. We hope to see you on the trails!
If you are a fan of beginner friendly hiking trails in Kenya, Book now, be notified when tickets become available. Similar trails to the Kijabe soft trail are: